We've all been there. Here are 10 ways to handle someone standing in your spot. I recommend printing a copy for your gym bag. :)
1. You must not be from around here. Let me show you around. We have some lovely vacant land over here by the fan.
2. Don't say a word. Just stand RIGHT next to her. Avoid eye contact until she moves away.)
3. Oh, I actually have to use this spot. You see, I have this vision disease where I have to stand exactly this distance from the instructor. I'm sure you understand.
4. You don't want to stand there. Big Mike stands over here and sweats all over the place. In fact, I'll take this spot to make sure no one else gets stuck here.
5. (Send someone else over. Have him say, "You see that lady over there? This is her spot. I just wanted to wish you good luck." During this exchange, run your thumb across your neck in a threatening manner while staring in their direction.)
6. Oh good, someone else is in the demo spot for a change. I'm sure you'll be great at helping the instructor teach the moves. You know how to do one of those handstand twerk things, right?
7. Wow, no one has been brave enough to stand THERE since the ceiling collapse incident of 2014. I mean, I'm sure you'll be fine.
8. (Walk toward him snapping your fingers as to start a dance battle, West Side Story-style. If he stands his ground until you get there, try some leaping kicks into the wind.)
9. I'm sorry, but I actually purchased this spot last year. Got a great deal in a foreclosure. I can grab the deed if you'd like to see it.
10. Hi. My name is so-and-so. I'm a creature of habit and come to class every week, and really like standing in this spot. Would you mind moving over a few steps? I appreciate it! (...that's right, the nice and normal approach just might work!)